We woke up at 4:15 and left the house at 4:40... In the MORNING! So not a morning person here. I missed my classes today but really I'm not too bummed about that. So we got checked in and they called us back by like 5:10. By 5:45 he was all "prepped" and we waited for the doctor. I was a wreck! Jake was pretty calm, of course. At 6:45 the doctor came and they took him. He smiled and waved while they rolled him away and I just stood there and waved back! I didn't even give him a hug or kiss or anything! I don't care if it makes me a newly wed, I was sick about it!! I played a cross word game on my kindle, Kinzie and at 7:12 I got to go talk to the doctor! Way fast surgery! He pretty much said, "Surgery went great! Those were some of the nastiest tonsils I've ever seen. I can't believe he waited so long to get them out. It's going to look gross like a fungus or something for a while. That's pretty normal. If it bleeds bring him in and we'll cauterize him again. Here's all the medicine I'm going to prescribe him. If he's planning on working at all next week, which he told me he was (because Jake starts his new job on Monday...), he needs to literally just sleep and rest all weekend. He needs to drink a lot of water too. He will wake up in about 30 minutes and they'll come get you in about 40 minutes." So I went and sat down and waited again.
I got to go see him at like 7:45. I walked back there and he was SO FUNNY right from the start. He was being super sweet though. It really does feel like I have a big ol five year old son, not a 23 year old husband haha. He was asking for me when I walked in and the nurse said," here she is!" and I walked up and he said, "Heyyy honeyyy....." All drugged up like. And then, "thank you for being here. Thank you for coming, you're soooo sweeeet." Haha! He was drinking a slushy and he kept opening his mouth and dropping his head towards me and I would give him another bite and he would say, "thaaaank youuu." Every time. And he would say, "This is amazing. What flavor is this? Is it blue or green? This is like liquid candy." And every two minutes or so he would say, "I'm... I'm awake now. Can I see my wiiife?" or, "When can I see my wife, my wife Rachel?" And I would say, "hey open your eyes" and he would and then he'd say, "Hooooneyy! Thank you! Thank you for being here. You're soooo cuuute." Or, "Hooooney you're here! How are you today?" Another thing he kept doing over and over again, which was HILARIOUS, he would say, "are my stupid tonsils still huge?" And I would say, "open your mouth and let me see" Then he'd open his mouth and I'd say, "oh my gosh I don't even see them! They're gone!" He'd open his eyes and be like, "Whaaat? They're not there?? *opens mouth wider* really??" Me, "Nope, not there!" Hahaha! Over and over. At one point he said, "my butt is numb." It was right after we had gone over the fact that they took his tonsils out and he was still kinda confused and in shock about that. I said, "you can't feel it?" "No." "Maybe they took your butt too!" I was obviously TOTALLY kidding. He opens his eyes and looked at me all like concerned/ticked/asleep/drugged/serious and said, "those idiots." HAHAHAHAHAHA. I was like, "oh wait it's still there you've just been laying down too long." He thought about it and was like, "ohhh, yeah." And every time a nurse would tell him to go to sleep he would say," buuut but how can I even try when this bed is making me sit up? and the lights are on! Whyyy are the lights on?" Over and over again. "Why can't we just turn off the lights so I CAN sleep?" Hahaha then once he said, "I need like a pirates eyes patch, but I'm gonna need two of 'em."
When they rolled him to a different room he said, "Make sure you tell my wife that I'm not over there because she is not gonna be happy when she can't find me anywhere. Her name is Raaaachel. Will you tell her?" I said, "Jake I'm right here, I'm walking into the other room with you." He said, again, "Hooooneyy! Hi! Thanks for cooooming. They're moving me to a different room now. How are you today?" The nurse who took care of him in the next room was named Rachel and so she walked in and told Jake her name and he says, "Rachel?! *opens eyes* you are NOOOT Rachel, Rachel is my wiiiife and you don't loooook like her." I said, "Jake I'm right here, we're both Rachel isn't that funny?" He thought for a minute and then just said, "Okay." Lol! Then the nurse Rachel said, "And I have a son named Jake! Do you have any kids?" Jake looked at me and said, "we wiiiiish. I f I had a kid I would hold him right now. I would. I would hooooold him and he would make me... Uhhh. He would make me so happy." She said, "What would you name him?" He said, "Well you better ask her about all that." Rachel said, "Cause it's her decision?" Jake, "No it's OUUUUR decision but she already has names in our head so.... Sooooo..." And Rachel said, "Well I guess that's fair, if she's going to carry the baby for nine months she should get to name him right?" Jake said, "Riiiight. Right that's right." SCORE! Haha ;) Then when it was okay for him to go home (like a little after 9) she said okay get him dressed. So she left and I said, "okay can you open your eyes? We're gonna get you dressed." He panicked and said, "WHAAAT?" opened his eyes and saw me then said, "Hooooneyy! Thank you, you're so sweeeeet. You're gonna help me get dressed? Thaaaaank youuuuu." Then dropped his head and closed his eyes again. Lol his eyes were closed like this entire morning. So somehow I got him dressed, and he tied his own shoes which I thought was way impressive. Then Rachel the nurse comes and takes out the IV in his hand and says, "I'll go get the wheelchair!" Jake looks at me and says, "You get to ride in a wheelchair?" Hahahaha! "No honey. The wheelchair is for YOU." *Eyes grow wide* "Can I do a wheely? Did you know I can do that?" me, "Nope I didn't, and that is really cool, but, no you can't." *face TOTALLY drops* "Whyyyy noooot?" in the whiniest voice he's used so far. "Um, because you're on drugs." he thought for forever and then said "ya I am. That's true." Then Rachel came and said, "you haven't had to puke at all have you? He said, "Noooope, just burp!" Hhahahaha! When we got into the lobby there were three guys in security outfits standing by a desk. Jake says, "gasp! Mickey!" I'm like, "what??" he says, "It's my friend Mickey! Heeeeeyyyyy Mickey!" Btw, none of the guys seem to respond to that name... Then when we roll him by they all look at him and Jake holds out his hand for a high five and says, "Miiiiickeyyyyyyy......" One of them gave him a high five, thank goodness. It was super funny. Then when we got him in the car he rolled down his window and said, "Thaaaaank you! You've been great help!"
On the drive home he kept saying things we need to do like buying groceries and returning a sweater to Sams Club and stuff. He's been a non stop talker and he's acting like a kid and he's super cuddly and lovey and wants lots of hugs and he is just being very sweet. And funny. We talked to my mom on the phone and I hung up without letting him tell her he loved her. So he got "mad" and said, "Did you hang up? I didn't even say I looove you honey!" I was like, "oh she knows you love her." Jake, "but I still have to tell her!" Ooooookay Jake. Okay I will call her back!! Hahaha so I call my mom again and said, "Jake didn't get to say goodbye so here he is." Now, realize, he's laying down with his eyes closed and he's snoring every once in a while but somehow he doesn't stop talking. So I put the phone to his cheek and he says, "mommy! I love you! Tell Dad I love him too! And tell the family hi! Yeah I feel reeeeally goooood. Okay love you, bye!" I'm like, "mommy? whaaaaaaat???" Then we hang up and he says, "honey did you like how I called her MOMSY just like you do?" HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I call my mom Momsy and my dad Popsicle, like from Wicked. And he was trying to say Momsy, not mommy. TOTALLY cracked me up. Then when I told him my mom loved it he said, "well ya.... I knew she would love it..." Like duh wife.... Hahaha. Now he's just snoring up a storm (crap... he didn't used to snore!) and sleeping like a rock. But every once in a while he wakes up and says, "Well I'm just drooling like a baaaaaby. I'm having problems. Or somethin." It cracks me up. I have his head on a towel though, cause he really is drooling a lot. Really.
By the way, medicine takes like 20 minutes to give him.
So I typed all that mostly so I don't forget and because Jake wouldn't let it go he kept saying, "hoooooney youuuu neeed to blog about this daaaay." But the point is I'm thankful today for modern technology and medicine and knowledge and doctors who keep us healthy and strong and safe. This surgery will make Jake so much happier. And I'm hoping this snoring thing will STOP. ASAP.
Here's the before surgery picture:

After surgery picture:
Funny story about this picture (even though it already makes me laugh out loud just by looking at it!), when I took it I said, "smile!" and that's what he did. I didn't mind that his eyes were closed because that's what he looked like haha he did not open his eyes unless something surprised him. But seriously like ten minutes after I took the picture Jake goes, "You should do that again and I'll open my eyes this time...." Hahahaha! How on Earth did he remember taking a picture? I wish I would have taken another one but I was just like no don't worry about it.*for the record, Jake really doesn't care that I'm sharing all this he thinks it's hilarious. Of course, he is on drugs right now. :)
3 comments:
So I pretty much just died laughing while I read this =) too funny. I had surgery back in January this year and my family has stories from me waking up very similar to this one =) so embarrassing but way too funny to forget!!
Hope he starts feeling better soon! I agree, modern medicine is such a blessing!!
I laughed so hard reading this. Like, actually OUT LOUD laughing. I can just hear Jake saying all those things and being so funny and sincere and seriously so happy to discover (again!) that you are with him. Totally like 50 First Dates.
I am sorry he is snoring, hopefully that will end soon. And I can't believe that he is planning on going to work on Monday! I hope that he gets LOTS of sleep and rest and heals quickly. If happy people heal faster (and they say they do) then he should be better soon.
Love you both,
MomSY! (hahahahaha)
GREAT story!!! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment