Monday, September 5, 2011

Bodies Exhibit

Mom C., Bomer (Shalina), Dane, Dash and I went and saw the exhibit on Saturday! I feel so smart after going! It was FASCINATING. We learned that all the specimen were from China and that their laws are different concerning what to do with dead people so when someone dies and their family can't afford a funeral, the body gets donated to science. They love to donate to this bodies exhibit because every ten years they switch to new bodies and they call the families of the old bodies and throw a really nice funeral for them. I also learned that getting the bodies to this exhibit takes 1 year of prep. I can't remember all the lingo or the order but they first soak in some chemical for three months that takes off the skin and fat. Then they do the same procedure that they do for baseball cards, they soak it in something for 6 months that makes it have a plastic (or rubber maybe...) covering! Then they do something else for three months and then the bodies are ready! I also read about how they got the one specimen they had that was all blood vessels ready but I can't remember what the process was called or how they did it... arg! It was so amazing though. And they said that every single thing in the museum is real, the eyes, nails, blood vessels, everything! It was really creepy if I thought about it but I just didn't.

I also learned lots of random facts that I of course don't remember most of. Like, you have to take in 3500 more calories than your body burns before you gain a pound. Same thing with losing a pound, you have to burn 3500 calories more than you took in before a pound is lost. Babies are born color blind, I already knew that. On average people let out a disturbing amount of gas every day, I don't remember how much. Something like 30% of the people in the world have an extra rib. Most of the dust in your house is dead skin-puke. People literally shed like 15 pounds of skin every year! There were so many other cool/sick/weird/random facts that I wish I could remember!

The baby room wasn't as cool as the bodies exhibit I went to in Oregon. One of the babies really did look like Voldemort, sceery. They had a placenta that was from triplets, it was so huge but way cool!

They had one body that was broken into two parts and they were facing each other, the skeleton of the body and the muscle of the body, same person! It was so neat! And that specific specimen has broken his upper arm and had not been able to afford treatment so you could see on his arm bone a huge bump from where the calcium deposits had healed it itself. SAD. I wish I could have taken pics but that was not allowed. It was just super super cool and I would go like three times if I could. I wish I could have gone with Jake, because it was SO COOL! But he was on his forever long horsepacking trip.

Speaking of this trip to the mountains, it's really bothering me because I have an over active imagination when it comes to bad things happening to people and he has no service so I have not talked to him since 7 am Saturday morning. And I'm nervous for them because Tyson ended up not going and so it's just Dad C. with a really bad leg, Kayla with, let's be real, no survival skills, and Jake. For all I know the bear that was spotted there THIS WEEK ate them. Or worse, just mutilated them and they are currently suffering and bleeding to death. Or their horses freaked out and they are all stranded running out of food. Or they drowned in the river while bathing. Or they were eaten by a piranha while fishing. Or Dad C. re-broke his leg so they're waiting for someone to find them. Or Kayla wandered off and got lost so Dad C and Jake are still looking for her. Or SOMETHING and they won't come back tonight like they are supposed to and then, if you think I'm being ridiculous now, I will REALLY freak out and basically Jake will never be allowed to do anything ever again. Woo glad I got all that off my chest! Haha. Seriously though, I have not fallen asleep until like 2 am every night and I've gone to bed between 11 and midnight!

Anyways back to my actual post about the exhibit, it was amazing and fascinating and I love doing things that make me feel smart! I'm glad I went!

Also, I'll update you about whether Jake makes it home or not, because I'm sure everyone is as worried as I am, right?

10 comments:

Sant Family said...

Piranha don't like cold water.

I am pretty sure Jake has survival skills to winter over where ever and how ever he would be stranded. (This applies to about 7 of your irrational concerns.)

They are not in the Gobi Desert, just Idaho (which is huge and rugged and ginormous but not impossible).

Bears are fat and happy this time of year. I am sure Jake knows camping bear safety, like don't sleep with your bag of Doritos, etc.

You get your overactive imagination from me. Sorry about that. But at least you got the good Sant knees instead of the crappy Hathaway ones.

Love you!
Momsy

Sant Family said...

The Bodies thing sounds so cool! I hope it comes to Baton Rouge!

jp said...

Um, his name is Jake, he will be fine! Certainly if something had/did happen he would save everyone. The name comes with huge responsibility.

Sant Family said...

Hahahaha - Snookie! You are so funny! Oh! Of course you are! It comes with the name, right???

I was also thinking that it would take more than a piddly little bear to keep Rachel's Jake away.

The end.

jp said...

You should watch this youtube... and realize that what they don't tell you is that his name is Jake...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18VkI0uDxE

Jean said...

Rachel, you're so funny. Don't you wish you had gone, too?

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

We had that here at the Cincinnati museum center a few years ago- it caused this whole big controversy. We went to the pirates exhibit which was really cool and now there is a cleopatra one I wanna go see!

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Nick went backpacking right after Andrew was born in yellowstone with his brother and his cousin and I totally felt the same way...... Wish we lived closer so you and I could get together and watch chick flicks and eat Bon bons whenever our hubs are gone.

Kimberly said...

You're hilarious! It's even funnier reading this *after* seeing the post with all the pics of Jake and his dad and sis smiling and happy. :) (I'm the same way, though; I always imagine horrible things happening anytime Sione and Ami go somewhere without me.)

Sant Family said...

PAHAHAHA! wow raerae! ... a pirahna? You crack me up! That exibit sounds really interesting though. I've always wanted to be a coroner so that would be like AMAZING to me! I gotta go there. Dot hey always have it up and running in Idaho or wherever you went to see it, or does it move, or is this like a one time thing? I wanna go! Anyways... I love ya raerae!

*THE BEST SISTER IN THE WORLD*
-SARI