Saturday, April 14, 2012

Jake Was Kicked in the Head by a Horse And That Wasn't the Worst Part of the Day

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH!

Today was a bad day, to say the least.

I had very very sad experience this morning. Later I'll come back and edit it in here just for journal sakes but for now I'll just say that it was a super rough experience. All day was just emotionally exhausting and I had to work.

Now it's been three years, to this day, wow. Three years ago my super sweet sister law, Jennie, delivered a stillborn baby, Lauren. I went to the hospital with my mother and father in law to see her and support them and it was so, so, so sad! I cried harder than I have ever cried in my entire life as soon as I got into my car. She was beautiful and perfect and I know that she was just too sweet and pure and good for this world so she just needed to get a body. It was an awful and sad experience, but also very spiritual.

So then my long day is almost over, it's about 5:30 and I get a call from Jake. He said that he was kicked in the chin by a horse and that he was going to have to go to the hospital.

He had been helping a friend move all day and this friend has horses. One of them is a three year old Arabian horse and he is not trained at all. So Jake was trying to catch him to get him in the trailer and he got the rope around his neck but as soon as the horse realized that Jake had him caught he started to run away and when he was far enough to kick he jumped and kicked Jake in the chin with his back leg. Karate bad A horse... I want to kill it.

His friend got him out and immediately bandaged his chin and made him lie down. He asked if I was at work and Jake said yes so he called Jake's parents... They did things differently than I would have but I'm building a bridge. They wanted to pick up their trailer so they told Jake to wait there and they would drive to Shelley to pick him and the trailer up and then they would drive him back to Idaho Falls and to the Urgent Care. Why not have Dan, the friend, drive Jake to the ER?

Just for the record, we ended up going to the Urgent Care because George and Vauna are friends with that doctor but I will never ever go there again. I was not happy with them at all. First of all... WIFE HERE! HELLLLLO??? The doctor completely ignored me. He would not listen to me at all. But he listened to Vauna completely. I was super annoyed. And I have an uncle who knows his stuff and basically I don't trust that the doctor did everything that he could/should have to make sure that Jake is okay. I'm building a bridge over this too...

So here comes the gross pictures.

First he looked at what he had to work with

Then he cleaned it out



Then he numbed it

Then he cleaned it out more

Then he did the first layer of stitches

On to the next layer

Then the last layer

Then they put silver on his neck wound so that bacteria won't grow

Then they dressed his wounds

Then they gave him a neck brace

Then a tetnis shot

He can't even eat soup

He has a super sore neck and shoulder. He can't close his mouth all the way because his teeth were shifted so that they hit each other. He ha a chiropractor appointment next week and an appointment with the dentist to get more x-rays taken to see what we can do about his jaw.

What a day. What a day.

5 comments:

Gel said...

Rachel
Oh what a sad and scary day. I hope he feels better.

Sant Family said...

Oh baby.

Baby baby baby.

I am so sorry. Super sad and scary.

You are so good to build bridges instead of bombs.

I love you and Jake.

Momsy.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Rachel oh my gosh. I am so sorry. I'm like practically crying right now. Poor Jake. I'm so sorry.
And I'm extremely sorry that that's not the worst of it. I clicked over here from facebook cuz your facebook was very vague. But what else happened??

Grannie said...

Who took all the pictures? Rachel, if you did that, you have come a long, long way. I am proud of you. You need to be a nurse. Jake, what a thanks you got for helping a friend move. I hope all will turn out okay and you will be back to your normal self soon. We miss you guys. I think you are long overdue for a visit. Love you.

Sant Family said...

I have to ditto what Grandma said - you have come a long way, Baby! Good job!