First he prints the picture and uses something similar to modge podge to glue the picture to the wood. Then he uses a jigsaw to cut around the puzzle. Then he takes the big middle piece and starts cutting the little puzzle pieces. Here are a few pictures:



Then he sands (by hand because the pieces are small and curvy) each piece and the border. Depending on how many pieces he cut he needs to shrink the border to fit tighter around the puzzle. Then he glues and staples the border to a backing. Then he put a finish on all the wood. Let me tell ya, after putting linseed oil on 130 tiny pieces of a puzzle, my hand was KILLING ME!
If you go to facebook.com/jakestoychest you can see more pictures of the things he makes and sells. Once we get going there will be more things. We'll also be setting up a website here soon.
Another thing, we decided that I could make sleeves for the toys he makes. You know how now ipods come with sleeves and e-readers come with sleeves and sleeves are just more special? (haha) so my momsy showed me a few different ways that I could sew a sleeve for each puzzle, number game, brainteaser, etc that we sell. They are so cute and I am so excited! For now we have different size plastic bags and we printed out Jake's Toy Chest onto card stock. Until I have a sewing machine/time to make a bunch of sleeves we will just make them for the puzzles. Also, eventually we are going to make a little stamp that says Jake's Toy Chest on it and we'll wood burn it into each item we sell. I am SO EXCITED it's going to be so super cute.
Here's what our plastic bags look like:

Here are a few of the sleeves:



3 comments:
These are sooooo amazing! We love our puzzle and it gets comments all the time! I can't believe that Jake just freehand cuts those out! That is crazy talent! I think it would be fun to put the balloon puzzle together on the wood grain, side. A bigger challenge for the smarties in the world.
That is SO cool! And I love how you're doing it together. Good luck!
Awesome!! Can't wait to see the website!!
Post a Comment