Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Name Game

I've been picking out my future kid's names for as long as I can remember. Seriously, I think there's a list of names in my first journal from when I was 8. Jake and I have been talking about names since we started trying to get pregnant. So we've been through quite a few! We had a few boy names that we like and a lot of girl names that we like.

Our top three girl names were
Emma Elizabeth
Ruby Lucille
Anya Grace
(And since we've fallen in love with the name Evelyn!)
We both felt like we KNEW we were having a girl and we decided on Emma Elizabeth. Loved it, referred to the baby as it, and thought it was perfect!

Then, to our happy surprise, we found out it was a boy! At the time, our four boy names that we liked were
William Dean
Wyatt George
Wade Joseph
Wesley Jake
I'm not sure why all the W's, we just happen to agree on them! Jake really likes Gabriel, I really like Lucas. But we don't agree on them. Once we found out it was a boy, our boy names seemed all wrong.

It doesn't help that on the Cromwell side this is grand baby number 33 of 34 (there's one due about two months after ours) and family member number 56 of 57 and counting! So there's a lot of no-no names.

But on the Sant side this will be grandchild #1, maybe 2 (my brother's wife is expecting about 3 weeks after me, so ya never know) ((since starting this blog post she has been born!)).

So that night we found out it was a boy I couldn't sleep and was looking through lists of names for boys. Any that stuck out to me at all I wrote down. The next morning I read them to Jake and he said Eli/Elijah was his favorite. Within a few days that's just what he was calling him! I really liked it but worried that if we became dead set on it, like we were with William, that it would end up being wrong again. But now, at 37 + weeks I think we're pretty much settled for good! He's just an Eli.

For middle names we like Joseph, Dean, and Matthew. Jake's middle name is Joseph, his dad's middle name is Joseph, my brother's name is Joseph, and it runs way back on my side. Dean would be after my dad, it's his middle name. And Matthew is my brother's name, and Jake's BEST friend's name. I think we will do Eli Joseph, but we'll see!

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

Naming your child is the first possible reason you give them to need therapy. Haha. Just kidding. I love the names you picked. I was so used to the W names that it has been an adjustment getting used to Eli.

See you soon!

Love, Tati

Lee&Michelle said...

Love the name Eli super cute! Baby names are hard! We had boy names picked out easy but girl names HA! Glad you were able to pick one out!

Hopeless Romantic said...

I totally remember talking about baby names like a zillion years ago. That's so crazy and insane :) The sad thing is, I can't remember any of the ones I said! I should've written them down!